Sunday, October 6, 2013

October 5th, 2013: Update from BGC

Dear Friends & Family,

Greetings in the name of our Lord. I hope you & yours are well, wherever you may be. 

All is well here at Bishop Gwynne College (BGC) in Juba, South Sudan. I've been here not quite a month, since my departure was delayed by five days because of a leg injury that needed medical attention in the US before I could travel safely. Arriving on Tuesday 9/10, I was glad to be present for the school's opening service at All Saints' Cathedral on Wednesday 9/11. Jet lagged, of course, but at least I was present and felt the warm welcome of Principal Samuel G. Marial, Archbishop Daniel Deng Bul and many of the students whom I remember so fondly from teaching them in 2012. It took about a week to get over the time difference of seven hours and begin sleeping at night & staying awake during the day, for the most part.

Classes started on that same day, so I moved on quickly to teach the Mission & Evangelism class for third year students that afternoon, followed by New Testament Introduction for the first year students on Thursday morning. Then after a few days break over the weekend, came New Testament Texts for the second year students on Monday morning. 

The second week, just as I was getting into the groove, I came down with something that was awful for a few days, but not serious in the long run. Through a friend I was able to get in touch with an American doctor. The consultation was a great help to my peace of mind because of her reassuring diagnosis. That short-lived misery is behind me now, thank goodness, and as my friend said with a smile, at least I'm 'still above ground'. Yes, thank you, my friend, for those comforting words. One cannot be too sure of these things anywhere, I suppose. I'm very glad I lived to tell about it from half way around the world.

Now, after a predictable time of transition, classes are going well, I'm happy to say. The students are eager to learn and inspiring to teach. Together, we have a lot to cover this semester. By the grace of God, we'll get it done. I hope you will keep us in your thoughts & prayers. 

As you may remember from previous postings, the Old Site at BGC, a charming brick building in the perimeter style around an open courtyard, is a comfortable, though by no means luxurious, place to live. City power that we celebrated last time, comes & goes, but we do have solar back up, always with plenty of sunshine available. Most of the time, treated water from the Nile is available from a tank located on a tower so that gravity pulls it down the pipes. Standing like a sentinel by the back door, the tank gets refilled periodically, so bathing regularly isn't a problem. Rain water collected in a big blue barrel is our back up when the tank occasionally runs dry. I'm glad I've gotten good at bucket bathing. Something I learned at camp many years ago, still works. 

Last year I spent a lot of time & received a lot of frustration trying to get internet connection. This year I have invested a reasonable amount in a 'gadget' that enables good connection most of the time. Thankfully, that is not the challenge that it  once was. A big improvement, I'd say, especially because it makes it easier to phone home on Skype, a spiritual necessity. The school & I shared the cost of two items that will stay here at BGC - a mobile phone to call people locally and a battery fan that can run for several hours after it is fully charged. That's especially helpful while going to sleep. So, life in Juba is as good as it gets, if you ask me.

Enough for now, my friends. I wanted you to hear from me before too long. Please know that I appreciate your kind attention and your support, financial & spiritual. It enables this ministry of missionary teaching here at BGC among people whose courage and faith inspire me everyday. Hopefully, as we travel together through these postings, I will be able to convey to you a sense about the many and various ways the Holy Spirit is working here. May the Lord bless you & yours as the journey continues for all of us. Until the next time,

Peace in Christ,

Ellen+

No comments:

Post a Comment